Wednesday, September 15, 2004
 
This is the song/poem thing for math class that I mentioned yesterday. Its all done. We have to perform it today.

Field Axiom Song
Axioms are very boring
But we must recite them, sorry
Trick-or-treat, take these axioms away from me
I don’t want them, I don’t care
But we have to learn them
That’s not fair!

X and Y are real numbers.
Add them together, yessiree
We have a new real number now, don’t we?
And if we multiply them too,
There’s still closure! Woohoo!

Now we’re going to go to work
Time for x and y to commute.
We have x+y
Which is equivalent to
y +x.
Multiplication is commutative too.
x times y equals…
I don’t know, do you?
It’s equal to y times x.

Now its time to dig out parentheses.
Addition and multiplication are
A-S-S-O-C-I-A-T-I-V-E, associative, operations
That means we can group them differently
And there’ll still be equality! Go equals!

Don’t put away those parentheses quite so soon.
‘cuz now its time to distribute.
z open parentheses y plus x close parentheses
Is just the same as zy plus zx.
We’re searching for addition’s identity element
And multiplication’s too.
Zero hath be what we’re looking for
For addition
With one being the multiplicative identity.
Using zero with addition and one with multiplication
Gives you the same thing you started with.

Every real number x has an additive inverse
Just take its opposite –x and you’ll get
ZERO
With multiplication the inverse is different.
One over x is that inverse, and if you multiply it by x you get…
ONE!
Now no more field axioms are left
But unfortunately we are not done yet.
Confusion is left to wreak havoc.
Stating the obvious but making no sense

Put x up to a mirror. You see x. Because x=x!
That’s the reflection.
And like a pretty butterfly with symmetry
If x=y, then y=x!

Our journey is almost ending.
So let’s talk about transitivity.
If x < y and y < z, well what do you think?
x must be less than z!
And if x=y and y =z, then….
x=z
And that’s transitivity for equality.

Now you can release your breath
For we are done with our sleep-inducing rant
On the field axioms – and a few others

For some reason whenever I paste something from word, some things get messed up, such as apostrophe's. So that sort of messed this up.



Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Powered by Blogger