Tuesday, November 25, 2003
 
Since I am way too polite to recite anything on Thursday on Thanksgiving (or at least my parents hope so) I am going to give you my whole story on Thanksgiving and why, the so called "first thanksgiving" is anything but something we should be thankful for.
Okay, well, the thanksgiving we celebrate, supposedly takes its root from the feast the pilgrims had after surviving a year with the help of the Indians and they were celebrating their harvest, which is why we have thanksgiving with a feast and when we have it. Thanksgiving's are old traditions, and so when Thanksgiving there was the major revival of Thanksgiving Day after the Civil War when President Lincoln made it a national holiday, it was based on the thanks-giving celebrations held in the 1600s and early 1700s that were slowly dying away.
Now, a lot of people say what they are giving thanks for at the beginning of the meal, and I know in my family at least, I don't think I've ever heard the pilgrims (or Indians.) The Native Americans (the politically correct term) do not get enough recognition in their help. They do when you are little, but then as you get older and learn about all the wars, the natives become more "enemy" like and less possible alliance like. Believe me, they were alliances at points in time. If it hadn't been for the Native Americans who were so gracious towards some people back in the 1600s, we may not have Rhode Island, which was the first New England colony to have religious tolerance, something that has stayed with us in the US near four hundred years later.
But did the colonists thank the Native Americans?
Maybe, but they also had a biological warfare. The first in North America I believe. You know, all those smallpox infected blankets given to the Native Americans was no accident. It was...dum dum dum...biological warfare, though I doubt at the time it had that name. It was called fighting for what was not rightfully yours and being a landhog. And yes, history is very angled and very open to interpretations, unlike more analytical things such as mathematics. No, you know, maybe the land hog was a little overboard. Maybe, let's see, I believe greedy is the correct term.
Okay, I came up with this to be about biological warfare and what it has to do with giving thanks. Thanks giving. Thanksgiving. Biological warfare, the very thing you've most likely been hearing about in the news in the past years. I don't really have a memory of news past maybe 3 or 4 years ago - though I do remember Jerry Garcia died the day I found out what tie-dye was, but that has nothing to do with this whatsoever - so for all I know, news of biological warfare could've been then too.
The colonists had war against the Native Americans, that is definitely known. But it wasn't all bloodshed wars. There were also biological warfares involved as well. Smallpox killed the Native Americans once they were exposed to it a lot worse than the Europeans who brought it to American because they had no immunities to it, unlike some Europeans. This made smallpox a wonderful biological weapon.
Therefore, on Thanksgiving, we should give thanks to the Native Americans who helped some of the Europeans who were coming to America - just to get stabbed in the back (literally as well as figuratively) by them later on, and eventually pushed into small reservations to preserve what is left of there lifestyle if they are not yet extinguished. They deserve it, even though they may have massacred many of the Europeans, but they (and there followers) most likely did worse damage.

And no, I am not trying to preach here.



Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Powered by Blogger