Saturday, October 25, 2003
 
Barnes & Noble.com - The Amulet of Samarkand
The Amulet of Samarkand is by Jonathan Stroud, who came to our school yesterday to talk to us and to sign books if we ordered one. I am not a big fan ofantasyst books, so I didn't order one - that and I didn't have any money - so I am going to see if I can find the book at the library. I am sure we'll have one at the school library. Well, Mr. Stroud came and he talked to us about he got his ideas for the Bartimaeus trilogy, and how it was a dreary day and how he was walking down the street walking and he was thinking about what he should write about, and he started thinking about magicians and the typical ones, and how he wanted to right a book with magicians, but they were the opposite of the usual, and so he used the overhead projector and he took suggestions for the typical magicians and drew one, and then for the opposites, and he drew one, and he said the magicians in his book were more like the one in the second picture, power-hungry, young, greedy, buisnessmanlike, and things like that. And we talked aboutheeh different planes a little, and how to normal people they looked like regular politicians since they sort of ran England and all since they made up thparliamentnt.
He had also said he had written a few other books, but this was the only one published in the states, and Miramax has the rights to make a movie of it too. Well, I was interested in his other books and what they were about, even though he is a fantasy writer, so when it was time when we could ask questions, I raised my hands and I asked about his other books and what they were about.
He's written three other books, the first one was about a dragon that some kids find that is under a hill and how they get these powers from it, the second one was dark, the third one was about these kids that take over an abandoned castle in the winter and avoid the police and stuff, and the third one sounded really interesting. He said the first few should be published here in the U.S. within a few years hopefully, but he didn't say anything about the third book which sounded the most interesting. I am going to see if there are any book stores around here I can find it at where they might have imported it from England, or if dad ever has to go on another business trip to Europe and is in England, if he can buy it for me while he's there.

Okay, well that was only a part of my day. After school, my mom picked me up for once, and my and my friend went to Walgreens so I could get my friend a birthday present (not the one I was with, the one whose b-day party I went to last night) and I got a hamster that sings and danced to blue suede shoes since my friend is a rodent person and I got three small notebooks so I she could write since she's also a writer, and I put stickers of animals on each one that looks sort of like a capybara, which is the largest rodent in the world, so I thought she might like that. Then I came home, put my swimsuit on, packed up, and went to her party. It was a sleepover. I had lots of fun.

Well, now I am back home, so I should get dressed (I am still wearing my pajamas) and put my stuff away, do my homework, stuff like that. But not for a little while. I am going to do a few things on the computer first.
I have a soccer game today, my last one, but I can't play. Dont' worry, I don't have any broken bones or sprained anything, its just my sport specs broke last week during the game when I got hit in the face (that isn't a good sign) and so they are brokenI i haven't had a chance to get new ones, and I think we should just get refunded since the season (for me) is over, though I'll need them next year again probably. Oh well, I am going to go watch the game even though I can't play. Oh yeah, I just remembered something, my friend called yesterday as I was leaving the house, have to call her.
BYE



Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Powered by Blogger